Colleen Says...

I talk, you listen... and leave me comments.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

UPDATED - The evolution of colleen's toques

**UPDATED to add: I just found a couple more pictures of other people actually wearing the things i made for them, so i put them in. Take a look, they're precious.**

Alright, i was just putting the pictures of my new toque into my 'knitting projects' picture folder on my computer (YES i have a knitting projects folder), and i found the pictures of my previous toques so i thought i would enlighten you.

First of all let me introduce you to my new baby, my first attempt at the fair-isle knitting technique (that's the pattern technique that makes it all stripey and dotted for you non-knitters):










It's a bit small, i should have learned my lesson this time, and i did cast on more stitches to start out but i guess fair-isle takes up more space therefore making it thicker and warmer but .. hurts my head a tad. Oh well.. it matches my glasses! What more could i a girl ask for. Plus it was super fun to make, fair-isle is my new favorite thing now! I will definitely be making more, with fun patterns, and i might even try making some sort of a cardigan/shrug/somethingelse with the same kind of patterning.

Now let go backwards time to Colleen's first toque knit in the round, the london beanie:

Cute, simple, fun to make.. but too small! what is WITH that. I guess i just underestimate the size of my own brain. But look how well it matched my roots scarf, and look at my cute black short pigtails!

This is the evolution i'm talking about.. my hair has been so many different ways over the past few years, and every time i look at another picture i get nostalgic and remember the times i had with that hair and want it back!! This toque and this hair remind me of last fall when i first started university and i didn't know anyone, and then i met Katrina and Ryan and hung out with Josh Chow all the time. THAT'S back when i kicked ass at school.. because i was 17 and wasn't going out to the bars all the time like everyone else.

Fast forward a few months...
This is my chrocheted toque with the flaps and the strings and the pom-pom! Love it!! It wasn't too small, it was perfect. In fact i'd wear it all the time, except i gave it to Lindsay :) Then i made a blue one and a matching scarf for Robyn:

I think these are my favorite things i've ever made, they were so cute and cuddly and it took me a long time to make that scarf too. I gave them to Robface for christmas, and now i have no idea if she wears them at all. So after that i started to make a light purple one to go with one of my winter coats, and i was gonna keep it for myself. However, i forgot the # of stitches i had used for the previous hats and since i didn't have the other 2 anymore i couldn't count them, so it ended up way too big half way through so i gave up. I brought that yarn with me to Rez though so perhaps i'll get the courage to try again so that i can have a comfy hat for winter too. MAN seriously, most comfy hat ever cause it's made out of doubled up BABY YARN! mmm

Oooh while we're on the subject of winter wear i'll remind you of my fabulous mittens on a string.. which i definitely plan on making more of this winter:










On the left is the pair i made for Heather for christmas (and the flappy toque i made for her as well) and on the right is the pair i made for Janine for the summerstock christmas gift exchange (i was really busy knitting/crocheting last christmas come to think of it!).

And back to talking about my hair, thought i'd remind you of the hot pink phase i went through.. totally loved that, there were pink streaks in the front and the whole back was feathered with hot pink at the bottom.











Alright that is quite possibly enough of my hair for one post. I can't believe i never posted THESE glorious pics from Pam's 80s party!!











I love this pic of Jane & I, it's artsy yet whimsicle. :)

Okay thats enough for one night, i have to go to bed. Really i'm going to either start blogging more or stop taking so many pictures cause i just CANT KEEP UP!! I already have pics to show you from last night and the night before but this post is too long anyhow.

I can't wait for my bday, i hope all my friends can make it out cause i miss them all. But this week leading up to my bday is going to be hell because i have 2 midterms and 2 doctors appointments. I just don't have TIME for this!!

Love,
Colleen

2 Comments:

  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger The Collabos said…

    HOT new hair. Maybe I have been listening to too much Rent Movie Soundtrack, but i can't help but think of Mimi when I see those pics.

    Hawt.

    Akiva

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Colleen! Long time no speak! I love the hat and scarf you made me, and of course I still wear it! And I saw your dad the other day while I was driving home from work, just thought I'd let you know.

    Love Robface

     

Post a Comment

<< Home